6 Ways to Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft
Even though Umialik will be there to respond to your auto theft claim, having your vehicle (or your personal property inside) stolen is never fun. That's why it's important to remember a few simple theft prevention rules like these listed below.
- Park in busy, well-lit areas. The more visibility you and your vehicle have, the greater the risk a thief has to take (and, hopefully, the less likely he/she is to go through with it).
- Exercise caution when using valet parking or when taking your car in for repairs. In those cases, leave only your ignition key with the attendant.
- When parking, turn your wheels sharply toward the curb - this makes it extra difficult for thieves to tow the vehicle. Also, always use your emergency brake and leave the transmission in park or in gear.
- Always lock your car and roll up the windows, even if it is in the driveway. If you have a garage, always park your car in it and make sure to close and lock the garage door.
- When temporarily leaving your vehicle, never leave it running or with your keys in the ignition. This may seem like an obvious rule, but many people still forget to take this simple safety precaution.
Remember - most personal property (i.e., your belongings and possessions) is actually not covered under an auto policy, even when it's stolen or damaged while in your car. Instead, this property is usually insured by a homeowners'/renters' policy. Be sure to check with your Independent Insurance Agent to learn more about how your coverage applies in property theft situations.